[N8VEM-S100:7583] setup for the serial I/O board?
h***@gmail.com
2015-09-15 22:04:14 UTC
Hi everyone.
I am building the serial I/O board - version 2(?). This board has three
parts - voice synthesizer, DLP USB adaptor, and Z85C80 CSS UART. I have
just finished building the serial I/O part using the Z85C80 and I haven't
been able to get it to function. I know that these boards are out there so
I am hoping that I can get some advice on setting up the UART. I am using
only Serial port A and connecting it to a terminal emulator on my PC
(TeraTerm). My basic s100 system is the Z80 board, 4M RAM board, and the
propeller I/O. With the serial I/O board on the buss I am able to boot fine
and I can evaluate the serial I/O board as explained in the s100computers
documentation. However, I get nothing out of the serial port.

I have attached a picture of my board.

Any ideas would be great.
John Monahan
2015-09-16 01:13:44 UTC
Hljr, sorry to hear of your problem. There is simply insufficient information below to really help.

What ports are you using. What bit patterns show up. Do you see chip select signals (with a logic probe) going to the appropriate pins with a simple port input/output etc. etc.
 Have you tried a close loop sending out on TXDA connected to RXDA reading in, and likewise TXDB connected to RXDB (removing the MAX chips).

John

2015-09-18 15:02:22 UTC
Here is where I am at.

I have finished building the serial I/O board. I followed the build
procedure on the s100computers web site. No problem booting up my Z80 when
the board is mounted. I then ran MYIO.COM from CP/M to run the loop test.
Unfortunately the loop test failed at the 38400 baud setting. However the
test worked fine at all rates up to 19200.

I used TeraTerm on my PC with the serial port A connected to a com port of
the PC. I wired the connection as described in web site. I crossed TXD to
RXD, and CTS to RTS and tied DSR,DCD, and DTR together.

Unfortunately I was not able to try any file transfer because the system
initializes to 38400 when I boot up. If I use MYIO to change the baud rate
I don't know how to exit CP/M and go back to the monitor program without a
reboot.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Harold
John Monahan
2015-09-18 15:28:27 UTC
Which system, “the system initializes to 38400 when I boot up”. Still not clear to me what you are trying to do. If you just want to get back to the Z80 monitor within MYIO just jump to 0F000H (or wherever your z80 monitor resides) with a command put into the MYIO code. (If you are using a banked CPM3 system, first switch back in the ROM). If you want to get back to CPM, the menu ESC key should do it.

If you can transfer a file at 19200 you are well on you way, some older systems/cables etc. may not do 38K. Much better is to use the USB port for file transfers BTW.

John

2015-09-19 00:34:36 UTC
My system consists of the Z80 board version 2 with the latest monitor
program (version 5.02?). I have the 4Meg RAM board and the dual IDE CF
board. I am using the Propeller I/O for the console. The operating system
is CPM3 banked. I am using all boards that you designed? I am also using an
active terminated bus.

Part of my problem with the serial I/O board is the MAX232 chips. I am
using the MAX232N with 1uF electrolytic caps. I bought 4 chips and 2 of
them were dead! The other two seem to be heating up over time. When I
first turn on the computer the serial board works fine, but after about 15
minutes I can't get reliable transmission. I have used the max232 chip once
before on a heathkit project and as I remember I had some problems also. Do
you have any advice?

Also I plan to use the serial board with xmodem to transfer programs
between the Z80 and my PC. Your monitor program does not have an option to
change the serial baud rate. The only way to change the baud rate is to run
MYIO from CP/M. When I run MYIO and change the baud rate I don't know how
to exit CP/M and get back to your monitor program without a reset which
causes the serial board to reinitialize to 38400. I guess I don't
understand some of the options.

Thanks for the help
Harold
John Monahan
2015-09-19 01:24:53 UTC
OK Harold, get the picture.

First the MAX chips should not run hot, not even warm! Are you sure you don’t have the caps in backwards? I got mine way back from Jameco.

To get back to the CPM prompt in CPM use the BDOS Function 0. Put 0 in [C] and JMP to 05H. (I seem to remember you can also juts JMP to 0H in RAM to do a reset).

I also seem to remember I had code such that hitting the ESC key in the menu aborted the program and brought you back to the CPM command line. Check this out first.

Can you get the loop around test I mentioned earlier to work at 38K (removing the MAX chips and using the 5V levels on the Zilog pins)?

John

G. Beat
2015-09-19 02:10:22 UTC
Where are you buying your ICs (MAX232) ???
eBay is full of counterfeit operations .... from Far East.
They just list a price below reputable distributors.
Crusty OMO
2015-09-20 01:52:51 UTC
Harold,

I got burned (both litterally and figuratively) by some MAX232 chips I bought from China. Same deal, they got hot and stopped working.

Throw them out!

Cheers,
Josh

Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 17:34:36 -0700
From: ***@gmail.com
To: n8vem-***@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 6:04:15 PM UTC-4, ***@gmail.com wrote:Hi everyone.I am building the serial I/O board - version 2(?). This board has three parts - voice synthesizer, DLP USB adaptor, and Z85C80 CSS UART. I have just finished building the serial I/O part using the Z85C80 and I haven't been able to get it to function. I know that these boards are out there so I am hoping that I can get some advice on setting up the UART. I am using only Serial port A and connecting it to a terminal emulator on my PC (TeraTerm). My basic s100 system is the Z80 board, 4M RAM board, and the propeller I/O. With the serial I/O board on the buss I am able to boot fine and I can evaluate the serial I/O board as explained in the s100computers documentation. However, I get nothing out of the serial port.