[N8VEM-S100:7136] New S100 Board Under Development - OPL3/Game/16550 Serial
David Fry
2015-05-31 16:07:31 UTC
Hi Everyone,

I recently mentioned in a recent post that I would be announcing a
S100 board that I have been working on over the last five months or so.
I have not yet come up with any name for the board so I currently refer to
it by it's functionality which is aimed to add some multimedia
functionality to the S100 PC platform.

Basically the board provides Yamaha OPL3 (Adlib) sound card function, A IBM
compatible Joystick/Game port, and a PC compatible NS16550 serial port.

Each circuit function can be addressed via separate and independent 8 OR 16
bit port addresses so 8/16 bit port addresses do not have to be related to
one another,
in other words if the 16550 serial port is mapped at 16 bit port 03F8H the
8 bit mapping doesn't have to be F8H it can be some other address of your
choice.

I have completed and built the first prototype version as shown in the
picture attached and I am pleased to announce that after correcting a few
bugs that slipped through
the net, the board seems to work as intended. My S100 system now has OPL3
Adlib sound under MSDOS (Mario game), and the joystick port and serial port
have been tested
by writing software under the Z80 platform (need to start learning x86
soon).

The real purpose of this post is to gauge what level of interest there may
be for this board in anticipation of a production release possibly in the
later part of this year (2015), and also
to extend an opportunity for a number of the more technical members to
participate in a second prototype either by building up a board or by
circuit analysis.

I have uploaded the KiCad files (OPL3 Proto V1.zip) and _OPL3GAL.PDS file
(for the GAL) to my N8VEM user folder for constructive comment/suggestions.
http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=David%20Fry

If for any reason you cannot get to these files email me off board and I
will forward them to you.

Best Regards

David Fry
Paul Birkel
John Monahan
2015-05-31 17:19:53 UTC
Looks pretty darn good as is a David. Should mention that besides the TO-3 LM33K 5V regulator, the footprint also accommodates the Pololu & EzSCB switching regulators. I’m good for my usual 3 boards.

John

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder <http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=David%20Fry> &param=David%20Fry

Kryoclasm (Shawn)
2015-05-31 17:48:56 UTC
That is the chip from the old Soundblaster isn't it?
How about calling it the "S-100 GAME BLASTER"?

Very good work on the board. I'm sure I won't be ready to use one for many
moons. :(

Shawn
David Fry
2015-05-31 18:00:56 UTC
Good spot Shawn,

Yes the YMF262 was used on many incarnations of the SoundBlaster board for
supporting the Adlib sound standard which is FM synthesis based.
The SoundBlaster standard on the other hand is sample based and requires
the use of DMA transfers, we do not yet have DMA on the S100 bus so I
didn't go down that route
choosing rather to concentrate on something more easily achievable.

regards

David
Richard Cini
2015-05-31 17:49:30 UTC
This looks like a sweet board, David. Great work!

Count me in for 2.

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers

From: David Fry <***@googlemail.com>
Date: Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 12:07 PM
To: S100-Post <n8vem-***@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [N8VEM-S100:7136] New S100 Board Under Development -
OPL3/Game/16550 Serial

Gary Kaufman

Andrew Bingham
2015-06-01 03:08:37 UTC
Don, you are the man.

I bet with this, and the 386 board, and the MSDOS support board I could run
Wing Commander 1 on a totally homebrew system.

Andrew
Fabio Battaglia
John Monahan
2015-06-12 15:06:59 UTC
Hi David, cannot remember if I previously mentioned it, but put me down for 3

John

Ronald Wochner
2015-06-10 15:35:39 UTC
That's awesome! I'm willing to give it a shot, with the caveat that I
haven't built any of the other boards yet, partly because I haven't set
aside money to populate them, and partly due to the fact that my primary
s100 system is a zenith z100, so I can already run dos. I need to build one
of my ide boards so I have storage, as I want to use the machine as a
'retro dev box'... Anyway, I debug software all day so it can't be that
hard right? ;P I'm totally not jumping in waaaaaaaay over my head, as
usual.... Lol. Seriously though, that's really cool and I would be
interested in helping test and prototype. Not sure how helpful I really
will be, but I can try.

Anyway, nice work!
David Fry
2015-06-11 12:09:47 UTC
Fabio & Others,

your interest has been noted, Thanks.

Ron,
I'm hoping to run a revised (corrected) version of this board either late
this month or early next, either way I should have some revised PCB's by
latter part of July all being well..
In the meantime download the KiCad schematics and get familiar with the
circuit and GAL PDS file, if you have any questions you can email me off
board
Any suggestions/comments before the next pcb run would be useful

regards

David
Brian Marstella
2015-06-13 13:48:58 UTC
Hi, David,

This looks like a great project. While I don't have the time right now nor
a working S-100 machine to help with testing, I'm definitely interested in
1 board whenever you do a "production" run.

Thanks for making this available. Regards, Brian.
David Fry
2015-06-13 13:52:27 UTC
Many thanks for all your feedback,

I'm keeping note of those who have shown interest and will post any updates
as they happen.

regards

David