[N8VEM-S100:7656] Status of Beginner S100 Bus SBC
John Monahan
2015-09-26 00:12:44 UTC
Guys just an update here.

I got back and built up the prototype SBC, see here for a picture (ignore text)

http://s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/SBC%20Z80%20Board/SBC%20Z80%20CPU%20Board.htm

Its running at 10MHz with 60K RAM and 4K ROM. I’m using the USB port to control it from my PC. Reworked the MASTER.Z80 monitor so in default mode (IOBYTE = FFH) it uses the USB port for console I/O. One can add the various other S100 boards to the system as you need. For example the Propeller driven Console IO board, speech synthesizer etc. etc. Seems real reliable. Changing the IOBYTE switch settings you can re-direct the output to the Console IO board etc. You all know the drill

Anyway I’ve been rethinking the board layout and realize I can do a much better board with the following extra characteristics.

I will remove the onboard Propeller chip, support circuitry, jumpers 3.3V supply etc. and in its place put in the IDE/CF board core circuit. Hopefully with minimal software changes. Again no GAL’s, will be all TTL.

Also I have figured out a way to utilize memory banking with that 128K RAM chip so we can also have CPM3 in banked mode.

This unfortunately this will require another prototype and push things back a few weeks but it will be a much better board.

It alone in the bus with a simple USB connection to you PC would get a system going. Other boards can later be added and parts of this board deactivated, One nice thing about USB -- there are no baud rates, parity stop bits etc. – something that floors most beginners.

Update for the hard core users!

I have the CPLD based 80386 prototype board up and working (using a 70MHz oscillator) , that’s the good news, The bad news is that our GAL based S100 bus 16MB SRAM board does not behave well at high speeds in the bus. Much to my amazement the earlier 74xx based circuit boards (4MB & 16MB) behave much more reliable. I’m at a loss to explain. But after screwing around now for a few weeks on this project I have decided to do (yet another) 16MB static RAM board. The prototype has gone out. It will utilize our V06c mezzanine boards (unchanged ) of course. I also have redone the power distribution and managed to double the size of the board traces. I need to stress all the above applies to only the new 80386 board. All the past CPU boards work fine with the GAL based RAM boards.

The above SBC has sidetracked me in working with the 80486 prototype board. Its sitting here! Hope to get to it next week once I get the V2 SBC layout done. I will be curious to see how that one behaves.

Anyway stay tuned

John
Robert Greenstreet
2015-09-26 17:38:05 UTC
<HEAD>
<STYLE>body{font-family: Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color: #ffffff;color: black;}</STYLE>

<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 11.00.9600.17801"></HEAD>
<BODY id=compText>
<P>Hi John,</P>
<P>Whatever configuration the Beginner S-100 SBC is finalized in: </P>
<P>Please add my name to any list that may be forming for this board.</P>
<P>Thank you,</P>
<P>Robert Greenstreet<BR><BR><FONT size=2>[message clipped]</FONT></P></BODY>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM-S100&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem-s100+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem-s100+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
John Monahan
2015-09-26 18:14:37 UTC
Will do Robert but its 4-6 weeks away yet. I will put out an “order” announcement at that time

John

Whatever configuration the Beginner S-100 SBC is finalized in:

Please add my name to any list that may be forming for this board.

Thank you,

Robert Greenstreet

[message clipped]
Tom Lafleur
2015-09-26 18:18:07 UTC
John...

It is of my option that GAL are ok on a board like this, cost is less that
the number of chips it save, saves board space and is easy to program and
I'm sure we can find someone to pre-program them for this board if need
be...

my two bits
Post by John Monahan
Will do Robert but its 4-6 weeks away yet. I will put out an “order”
announcement at that time
John
Behalf Of *Robert Greenstreet
*Sent:* Saturday, September 26, 2015 10:38 AM
Hi John,
Please add my name to any list that may be forming for this board.
Thank you,
Robert Greenstreet
[message clipped]
~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

Tom Lafleur
John Monahan
2015-09-26 19:38:44 UTC
Hi Tom,

Normally I would agree and these days I’m a GAL/CPLD convert. But I’m thinking that since this may be the very first S100 board a new user may build I would like to keep the variables/challenges to a minimum. The board is linked 100% with simple 74LSxx chips. The circuits are such that I should be able to write-up fairly straightforward build and debug steps on the web page – explaining what each sub-circuit does. I kind of intend to go overboard on the board build/debug for this one to help first time users get airborne. I continuously get e-mails about “chicken & egg” problems with users getting started in hardware. With this board they should later be able to step by step inactivate sections and go on to build more powerful multiprocessor systems.

Where I will need help is not only some of you double checking the write-up (when it’s done) but I really could use support in doing a CF-Card image downloaded from a PC that will immediately allow booting up a banked CPM/3 system. I really could use one or two volunteers for this. The end goal being:- built a board, pop in that CF card, hook up a Telnet PC USB connection over your laptop and you instantly have a running S100 bus CPM system.

BTW, I managed to get Freerouter to get me a board with only 520 vias. Will send off to Advanced Circuits for prototype tonight. FYI here is a picture of the board layout,

Andrew Bingham
2015-09-27 05:04:50 UTC
I think this is looking pretty good, John. You're right that baud rates
confuse a lot of people. I have so many different new and vintage devices
that I have to look it up every time. I think having onboard storage is a
big win as well.
J. Alexander Jacocks
2015-09-27 14:10:56 UTC
Interesting; I tend to find baud rates not to be confusing, but then I
don't use teletypes. So, being at heart a UNIX guy, the baud rate is 9600,
there is no parity, and 1 stop bit. :-) I set all configurable devices to
those settings, and leave them, as I have not often needed a faster speed,
even for file transfer, for vintage equipment.

Seriously, though, I'd rather have a serial port on the board, as it opens
wider the selection of devices that can be attached. I quite often don't
have a machine with a USB port handy, even in my office, due to the lack of
very long (over 10') USB cables. Serial devices I have, in plenty. I
actually find VGA/PS/2 to be a better combo than USB, because I always have
a KVM switch around.

It's not a killer, to me, but that's my $0.02 worth.

- Alex
Post by John Monahan
[...]
Behalf Of *Tom Lafleur
John Monahan
2015-09-27 19:15:23 UTC
Understand Alex, but these days you can buy a USB to serial “adaptor” cable for a few $. It looks like an RS232 on one end and a USB port on the other. Your computer never needs to know!

John

Bob Bell
2015-09-27 18:02:25 UTC
John, can you please elaborate on how you have implemented the two banks for banked CP/M3 on the SBC? In a previous email, you mentioned somehow using A16, but I wasn’t following how you were synthesizing A16, as it doesn’t exist on the Z80. Do you have an I/O port somewhere that will drive A16? And do you have an algorithm in mind for how you would switch banks to be implemented in CP/M BIOS function 27 (SELMEM)?

Thanks.

Bob Bell

.
John Monahan
2015-09-27 19:58:59 UTC
Sure Bob, sorry for the lack of detail.

The “adjustment” is to the A16 line going into the 628128 RAM chip itself. The Z80 does not know about it.

Please see the attached schematic. If for example this line is held low, (Jumper K106 1-2) then the Z80 will always only see the lower 64K of RAM on the chip. If its set 2-3, what the chip will see is dependent on pin 3 of U109.

A15 determines the upper or lower 32K block of BOTH 64k blocks within the chip. It goes high if both pin 1 & 2 are high. Pin 2 is controlled (and latched) by outputting a bit 0 to port BASE_PORT_(6+7). Four possibilities

A15 Data bit 0 Pin 1 Pin 2 Pin 3 (A16) Result

Low Low High Low Low Z80 sees 0-32K of 128K RAM

High Low Low Low Low Z80 sees 32K-64K of 128K RAM

Low High High High High Z80 actually sees 64-96K of 128K RAM

High High Low High Low Z80 sees 32K-64K of 128K RAM

What we are doing is page flipping in/out the LOWER 32K of RAM – something banked CPM3 requires.

Hope my thinking is correct!

John

G. Beat
2015-09-30 23:29:10 UTC
Came across thus new (2012) Chinese company, USRiot -- encouraged by Alibaba's program for smaller Chinese companies.
They have some serial (UART) to Ethernet modules, that use the W5500 chip -- a Hardwired TCP/IP embedded Ethernet controller.

USRiot
http://www.usriot.com/Product/20.html

gb
Robert Greenstreet
2015-09-26 18:29:26 UTC
<HEAD>
<STYLE>body{font-family: Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color: #ffffff;color: black;}</STYLE>

<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 11.00.9600.17801"></HEAD>
<BODY id=compText>
<P>Hi John,</P>
<P>I'll keep an eye out. Whatever time it takes, it'll take.</P>
<P>Thank you,</P>
<P>Robert<BR><BR></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: arial,sans-serif; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: black; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid">-----Original Message----- <BR>From: John Monahan <***@VITASOFT.ORG><BR>Sent: Sep 26, 2015 1:14 PM <BR>To: n8vem-***@googlegroups.com <BR>Subject: RE: [N8VEM-S100:7665] Status of Beginner S100 Bus SBC <BR><BR><?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = "[default] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" NS = "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" /><ZZZhtml xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"><ZZZhead><ZZZmeta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"><ZZZmeta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 14 (filtered medium)">
<STYLE><ZZZ!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:Calibri;
panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:Tahoma;
panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:ZZZlink, span.MsoHyperlink
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:purple;
text-decoration:underline;}
{mso-style-priority:99;
mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
margin-right:0in;
mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
margin-left:0in;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
span.EmailStyle18
{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only;
font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
{page:WordSection1;}
--></STYLE>
<ZZZ!--[if 9] mso gte><xml><?xml:namespace prefix = "o" /><o:shapedefaults spidmax="1026" v:ext="edit"></o:shapedefaults></xml><ZZZ![endif]--><ZZZ!--[if 9] mso gte><xml><o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"><o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"></o:idmap></o:shapelayout></xml><ZZZ![endif]--></ZZZhead><ZZZbody lang=EN-US link="blue" vlink="purple" bgcolor="white">
<DIV class=WordSection1>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; COLOR: #1f497d'>Will do Robert but its 4-6 weeks away yet. I will put out an “order” announcement at that time<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; COLOR: #1f497d'>John<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; COLOR: #1f497d'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; COLOR: #1f497d'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
<DIV>
<DIV style="BORDER-TOP: #b5c4df 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 3pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in">
<P class=MsoNormal><B><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</SPAN></B><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Tahoma","sans-serif"'> n8vem-***@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem-***@googlegroups.com] <B>On Behalf Of </B>Robert Greenstreet<BR><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, September 26, 2015 10:38 AM<BR><B>To:</B> n8vem-***@googlegroups.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: [N8VEM-S100:7664] Status of Beginner S100 Bus SBC<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
<P><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Arial","sans-serif"; COLOR: black'>Hi John,<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Arial","sans-serif"; COLOR: black'>Whatever configuration the Beginner S-100 SBC is finalized in: <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Arial","sans-serif"; COLOR: black'>Please add my name to any list that may be forming for this board.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Arial","sans-serif"; COLOR: black'>Thank you,<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Arial","sans-serif"; COLOR: black'>Robert Greenstreet<BR><BR></SPAN><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Arial","sans-serif"; COLOR: black'>[message clipped]</SPAN><SPAN style='FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Arial","sans-serif"; COLOR: black'><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal>-- <BR>You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "N8VEM-S100" group.<BR>To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <A href="mailto:n8vem-s100+***@googlegroups.com" target=_blank>n8vem-s100+***@googlegroups.com</A>.<BR>For more options, visit <A href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout" target=_blank>https://groups.google.com/d/optout</A>.<o:p></o:p></P></DIV></ZZZbody></ZZZhtml>
<P></P>-- <BR>You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "N8VEM-S100" group.<BR>To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <A href="mailto:n8vem-s100+***@googlegroups.com" target=_blank>n8vem-s100+***@googlegroups.com</A>.<BR>For more options, visit <A href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout" target=_blank>https://groups.google.com/d/optout</A>.<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></ZZZ![endif]--></ZZZ!--[if></ZZZ![endif]--></ZZZ!--[if></ZZZmeta></ZZZmeta></BODY>