[N8VEM-S100:7513] Solid State Music SB1
Jeff Albrecht
2015-08-18 15:03:25 UTC
From the Solid State Music (SSM) SB1 manual; "The Synthesizer Board (SB1)
is a waveform generator card designed to interface with any computer that
supports the S-100 bus and its signals."

I've been working on a number of these cards and so far have four of the
six I own functioning to specification. I hope to repair the other two, and
pickup another two so I can have a full compliment of eight boards for live
performances that will play music written or transcribed for the maximum
compliment of eight boards. *WTB SSM SB1 cards, contact me off list if you
can help.*

Check out my wiki page with some restoration history, links to manual and
sample .mus music file used to playback. There's also a link to a
performance of Scott Joplin's "The Entertainer" with all eight channels I
produced by recording four channels, readdressing the boards to the other
four channels and mixing in Audacity <http://audacityteam.org/>.

My Solid State Music SB1
<http://retrowagon.org/wiki/index.php/Solid_State_Music_SB1> wiki page.

A copy <http://thelolfx.com/Sfx/Details/47> of "The Entertainer" mix is
also available on thelolfx.com (Chrome browser required for proper audio
player performance)

For extra fun, help me reverse engineer the SSM 2000 mystery chip. It's
reported to be propitiatory chip but I suspect it's a re labeled OpAmp. On
the wiki page check out the schematic
<http://retrowagon.org/wiki/index.php/Solid_State_Music_SB1#Schematic>, and
the transcription
<http://retrowagon.org/wiki/index.php/Solid_State_Music_SB1#Proprietary_SSM_2000_-_mystery_chip>
of pins I made. Is this a familiar opamp to you? Note the pinout. There
appear to be five unused pins enough for another opamp for a total of
three in the package.This opamp uses offset nulling.

Enjoy! - jeffa KF7CRU @jhalbrecht @theRetroWagon
Jeff Albrecht
2015-08-18 15:10:47 UTC
OMG! I did it again. Meant to post this in comp.os.cpm Being S-100 I hope
it's not off topic for the group.

But I have wanted to ask this audience at N8VEM-S100 about the proprietary
SSM 2000 chip that I suspect is a re-branded opamp of the day Circa 1977.
If you check out the schematic and pins I reference on the wiki does this
look like an opamp you've seen? (Note the pinout). I have two more boards
I'd like to fix and am beginning to suspect the SSM 2000.

- jeffa KF7CRU
James Cobb
2015-08-18 22:15:17 UTC
Found this datasheet calls it a Dual Linear-Antilog Voltage Controlled Amplifier hope it helps.

Jim

Jeff Albrecht
2015-08-18 22:37:31 UTC
Thanks! I was just about to post that link. The chip is not a mystery any
longer. Also found some history
<http://www.sdiy.info/w/Solid_State_Micro_Technology_For_Music> of Solid
State Music and this interesting interview

of the founders of E-MU systems.

Any good sites for old stock other than eBay?
James Cobb
2015-08-18 23:22:18 UTC
Outrageous price but if you need them supposedly UTSource has them

http://www.amazon.com/utsource-1pcs-SSM2000/dp/B00UOA7PQI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8 <http://www.amazon.com/utsource-1pcs-SSM2000/dp/B00UOA7PQI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1439940011&sr=8-9&keywords=SSM+2000> &qid=1439940011&sr=8-9&keywords=SSM+2000

http://www.amazon.com/utsource-10pcs-SSM2000/dp/B00UODDEA6/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8 <http://www.amazon.com/utsource-10pcs-SSM2000/dp/B00UODDEA6/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1439940011&sr=8-15&keywords=SSM+2000> &qid=1439940011&sr=8-15&keywords=SSM+2000

2015-08-18 23:30:36 UTC
I suspect that might be a 24 pin chip with the same name. HUSH Stereo Noise
Reduction Systemwith Adaptive Threshold
<http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/obsolete-data-sheets/227604270SSM2000.pdf>.
I asked on the Amazon page if it is a 16pin DIP.
Tom Lafleur
2015-08-18 23:48:16 UTC
You may want to look at UTsource site... this may NOT be the SSM part your
looking for...

http://www.utsource.net/search.aspx?keyWords=SSM2000
Post by James Cobb
Outrageous price but if you need them supposedly UTSource has them
http://www.amazon.com/utsource-1pcs-SSM2000/dp/B00UOA7PQI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1439940011&sr=8-9&keywords=SSM+2000
http://www.amazon.com/utsource-10pcs-SSM2000/dp/B00UODDEA6/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1439940011&sr=8-15&keywords=SSM+2000
Behalf Of *Jeff Albrecht
*Sent:* Tuesday, August 18, 2015 6:38 PM
*To:* N8VEM-S100
Thanks! I was just about to post that link. The chip is not a mystery any
longer. Also found some history
<http://www.sdiy.info/w/Solid_State_Micro_Technology_For_Music> of Solid
State Music and this interesting interview http://youtu.be/pDS2sDg0eP0
of the founders of E-MU systems.
Any good sites for old stock other than eBay?

Tom Lafleur