[N8VEM-S100:7481] Home brew PCBs
Todd Miller
2015-08-02 19:07:48 UTC
I haven't etched a PCB since I was a teenager. Now I have
the need to make some simple boards. They only need to
be single sided using up to eight or so 16-20 pin Dips and
a few caps, LEDs and what not.

I don't need anything fancy as I will use my Laser printer.

Eagle is $169 for the simple version, but this is too much
as I only need to make a few boards.

Whats available that is low cost that others may have used ?

One more question, direct transfer or photo resist ??

Todd
Crusty OMO
2015-08-03 00:47:10 UTC
Hi Todd,

KiCad isn't very hard to learn, there's a youtube video tutorial on it. I've heard good things about direct transfer, but never used it. Photo resist is tricky, I've done it a few times and by the time you master it, you will waste several boards.

Cheers,
Josh

Tom Lafleur
2015-08-03 01:32:05 UTC
I given up on local board making, I just let shops in China make them and
wait the two to three week to get them via China Post, or 4 to 5 day via DHL

better board, tested, solder mask, silkscreen...
------------------------------
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 12:07:48 -0700
I haven't etched a PCB since I was a teenager. Now I have
the need to make some simple boards. They only need to
be single sided using up to eight or so 16-20 pin Dips and
a few caps, LEDs and what not.
I don't need anything fancy as I will use my Laser printer.
Eagle is $169 for the simple version, but this is too much
as I only need to make a few boards.
Whats available that is low cost that others may have used ?
One more question, direct transfer or photo resist ??
Todd
~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

Tom Lafleur
Gary Kaufman
2015-08-03 01:44:43 UTC
For small one-up small boards consider expresspcb
(http://www.expresspcb.com/)

They have a modest, free cad program that uploads to their system, and you
can get 3 3.8 x 2.5" miniboards for $51 + shipping in about 3 days. If you
need solder mask and silkscreening it's a bit more at $75 + shipping.

I've used them a bunch of times and they do nice work - and way quicker
than China. For any larger boards their cost is unfortunately way too high.

A bit slower, but less costly and using standard Gerber files is OSH Park

My last run of S-100 boards were nicely made by www.pcbway.com in China.

- Gary

- Gary
2015-08-03 19:36:12 UTC
The board size is about 3.8" x 2.5" and for $51 or so, I think this
is the way to go. I'm sure I would have spent that on FeCl3 and
supplies and no messy chemicals.

I've been playing with the Express PCB software this afternoon.
Simple enough, right now I'm working on the schematic...

Curious to see what happens in the board layout stage.

Todd

Crusty OMO
2015-08-03 22:38:29 UTC
Todd,

I've used Express PCB before, they are quick. Besides costing a little more than over sea's, they are very quick.
The other down sides, their software does not create gerbers that you can send to other makers.
Also, the limited board size prevents certain designs. But, I don't mean to talk down about them, they do provide a very easy and quick way to build a board. Their software is very easy to use. I enjoyed using it!

What I really wanted to say was, if you find the fixed board size is too big, you can draw your board in 1/2 the space then simply copy and paste the design to the 2nd half and yield twice the number of boards. You will of course need to cut them apart yourself, so give yourself 1/16" for your hack saw.

PS. I think there are two separate companies, one called "Express PCB" and the other called "PCB Express"... very confusing but that's business for you!

Cheers,
Josh Bensadon
Tom Lafleur
2015-08-03 01:56:01 UTC
I send my board to a number of site, looks at cost and delivery:
I build 2-4-6 layer boards
I use:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/blog/tag/fusion-pcb/

or

http://imall.itead.cc/open-pcb.html

or

http://www.pcb-overseas.com/npus/index.html?PHPSESSID=9kb8rsufbe64m7amo1j4pdfms2

or

http://www.ourpcb.com/
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 12:07:48 -0700
--
~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

Tom Lafleur
John Monahan
2015-08-03 15:44:03 UTC
Agree with Tom, these days it makes no sense to make your own boards. There are so many shops these days these days that do boards in small numbers it’s a “no brainer”. Quality is far better than you would typically do yourself and once a Gurber file is made it is easy to get more boards made.

John

Crusty OMO
2015-08-03 22:48:19 UTC
John,

I remember some of my first home made boards... some traces were completely etched through, others had shorts to adjacent traces/pads, then drilling them by hand was a fiasco! Drill bits kept breaking, the holes were all over the place, IC's didn't fit right! All this after spending hours inhaling toxic fumes... Back then, I had to make the mylar film myself... what a waste of time.

I think I could do a much better job at it today, but I know it would take a lot of money to get the right professional equipment and a lot of wasted man hours and material to learn how to use it.
But I am wiser today to know my pleasure and business is to design the board and not go into the production of PCB's.

Like you said, it makes no sense. It's like making glass, would you make your own glass? or just go buy it from a real factory?

Cheers,
Josh

From: ***@vitasoft.org
To: n8vem-***@googlegroups.com
Agree with Tom, these days it makes no sense to make your own boards. There are so many shops these days these days that do boards in small numbers it’s a “no brainer”. Quality is far better than you would typically do yourself and once a Gurber file is made it is easy to get more boards made.John From: n8vem-***@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem-***@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Tom Lafleur
Sent: Sunday, August 2, 2015 6:32 PM
To: n8vem-***@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [N8VEM-S100:7482] Home brew PCBs I given up on local board making, I just let shops in China make them and wait the two to three week to get them via China Post, or 4 to 5 day via DHLbetter board, tested, solder mask, silkscreen... On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 5:47 PM, Crusty OMO <***@hotmail.com> wrote:Hi Todd,