[N8VEM-S100:7701] SD Card Questions
John Monahan
2015-10-01 12:13:20 UTC
Hi Josh,

I am toying with the idea of building a dual Micro SD card S100 board. I’m finding that the bottleneck in my 80386/80486 prototypes for MSDOS etc. is the 8255A driven dual IDE/CF board. Did you get the SD card working with CP/M on your 8080 board. Any idea how “fast” it is relative to a CF card for data access. I’m worried the interface is in fact slower that an 8255A. Perhaps a large Flash RAM board would be a better approach. What do you think.

John
'David Fry' via N8VEM-S100
2015-10-01 15:05:41 UTC
John,

Before you develop another flash memory card have you tried using any of the higher end x266 or better CF cards that are designed for SLR photography to see if performance picks up.

I’ve looked at the Kingston website for the basic (White Lilly) 4GB cards and they don’t specify a speed which makes me suspect that they are slow cards,

Whereas the x266 CF card is specified at 40 – 45MB/Sec, and the x600 CF card is specified at 90MB/Sec.

If it does turn out that the 8255 is the bottleneck would it not be worth developing a discrete logic replacement to try and maintain broad compatibility with the existing software (monitor)

Base and CF card imaging process (cpmtools)

Maybe others could comment on the differences between CF media and SD card media in terms of disk layout etc...

Regards

David Fry

I am toying with the idea of building a dual Micro SD card S100 board. I’m finding that the bottleneck in my 80386/80486 prototypes for MSDOS etc. is the 8255A driven dual IDE/CF board. Did you get the SD card working with CP/M on your 8080 board. Any idea how “fast” it is relative to a CF card for data access. I’m worried the interface is in fact slower that an 8255A. Perhaps a large Flash RAM board would be a better approach. What do you think.

John

_____

No virus found in this message.
J. Alexander Jacocks
2015-10-01 15:13:19 UTC
David,

I assume that John is thinking that the bottleneck is the Intel PPI (8255A)
interface chip, and not the media. The maximum throughput for this chip is
far lower than the theoretical maximums for even basic SD/MMC cards.

- Alex

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 11:05 AM, 'David Fry' via N8VEM-S100 <
Post by 'David Fry' via N8VEM-S100
[...]
Behalf Of *John Monahan
David Fry
2015-10-01 15:56:15 UTC
Hi Alex,

then I think my second point becomes the relevant point.
Would it be possible to develop a discrete logic replacement circuit to
achieve higher performance and allow continued use of CF media and the
current CF media
imaging process with cpmtools.

regards

David
Tom Lafleur
2015-10-01 16:21:23 UTC
One of the issue I have is that we have a number of 8080/z80/cpm/mpm
projects on many different platform, all use a mix of SD (most of them) and
CF cards..

John's CF board
Josh 8080 board SD card
Grants cyclone IV board SD Card
Waynes Zeta Board SD Card
Others...

It would be nice if we has a standard so that a card on one would work on
another system.. at lease at file interchange level, not necessary boot
level

also, john's current CF board is NOT tolerant of many well known brands of
CF cards...
If a new design is done, it should allow use of most any CF cards, or what
John is proposing, moving on to a more common SD card....

thanks
*Sent:* 01 October 2015 13:13
Hi Josh,
I am toying with the idea of building a dual Micro SD card S100 board.
I’m finding that the bottleneck in my 80386/80486 prototypes for MSDOS etc.
is the 8255A driven dual IDE/CF board. Did you get the SD card working
with CP/M on your 8080 board. Any idea how “fast” it is relative to a CF
card for data access. I’m worried the interface is in fact slower that an
8255A. Perhaps a large Flash RAM board would be a better approach. What do
you think.
John
~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

Tom Lafleur
John Monahan
2015-10-01 17:06:00 UTC
I Agree Tom,

I would like as far as possible to keep the hardware transparent to the software. I think even the 82C55 is the bottleneck. I’m wondering if I should put in a fast (10MhZ) Z80/ROM/ROM chip set and buffer data to/from the CF cards or as Dave suggests do a 74Fxx/GAL hardware equivalent of the 82C55. Any suggestions for a really fast onboard CPU that has RAM/ROM and the capability of having 3 I/O ports in a circuit.

John

Tom Lafleur
2015-10-01 17:30:22 UTC
Maybe if you re-do that board, you do a dual CF/SD card board...

Instead of an Z80, use a PIC32... VERY FAST, SD driver available in C,
should be-able to find CF drivers...
Inherent timing is available on the chip.. less, board space than Z80..
simple to program...
Post by John Monahan
I Agree Tom,
I would like as far as possible to keep the hardware transparent to the
software. I think even the 82C55 is the bottleneck. I’m wondering if I
should put in a fast (10MhZ) Z80/ROM/ROM chip set and buffer data to/from
the CF cards or as Dave suggests do a 74Fxx/GAL hardware equivalent of the
82C55. Any suggestions for a really fast onboard CPU that has RAM/ROM and
the capability of having 3 I/O ports in a circuit.
John
Behalf Of *Tom Lafleur

John Monahan
2015-10-02 01:38:21 UTC
Thanks Tom, So it looks like SD cards (in any form) are slower than CDF cards. Did not really appreciate that and is good to know. Thanks.

On the CF card interface, I’m missing how a PIC32 (or any microprocessor) as a bridge on the S100 bus would in fact be faster that “straight” 74Fxx style buffers/latches to get 8 or 16 bit data in and out of the CF card registers. Currently I’m thinking of multiple 74F374 style latches interfacing directly to the CF card data lines and on to the S100 bus. In essence it would be emulating the 8255 in 74Fxx TTL fast logic. Even at that, I’m wondering if all of this could in fact save me a wait state.

The only way I can see a microprocessor being faster in between the “ two busses” would be that it internally buffers multiple sectors and later writes them to the CF card. Reads I cannot see an advantage unless we do track reads assuming a decent number of sequential sector reads. The one lesson I learned way back with that Propeller Console IO board is that the S100 bus generated pDBIN and pWR* signals are in fact very short. Too short for another microprocessor to do anything useful and definitely too fast for a high level language.

John

Tom Lafleur
2015-10-02 01:50:16 UTC
I think that an 8 bit direct interface from the CF card direct to the S100
bus would be the fasted....
get rid of the 16bit interface to the CF card....

Bob Bell
2015-10-02 02:03:00 UTC
My 2 cents:

I built a version 2 CF/IDE and I thought the 8255 was both overkill and a bottleneck at the same time.

I vote for fast/discreet logic/buffers, and/or GALs.

Bob Bell

yoda
2015-10-02 02:30:52 UTC
Hi John,

You should take a look at the board that John Coffman designed for the ECB
bus - it uses a couple of 646 latches and is very fast and reliable - much
more reliable and less sensitive to timing that the 8255 has.

See http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=ECB%20Dual%20IDE%20--%20with%20FDC

for details and yes 16 bit transfers can be very fast - being done on
another board. No need to reinvent the wheel when John C has a working
design - it should transport to S100 bus fairly easy - and the software
becomes actually much simpler without the 8255 in the way.

Dave
John Monahan
2015-10-02 04:19:33 UTC
Don’t know how I missed that one Dave. Excellent, dirt simple too.

Will look into it for sure

Thanks

Ian May
2015-10-02 10:43:40 UTC
Just watch out that TI have stopped making 74XXX646 type devices in DIP
packages https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/n8vem/rKgo1uuiakw .
You may also be better off using "fall through" latches like a '373 instead
of edge triggered registers ('646 '374). There is a fall through version of
the '646 - the '543 but it is also on the TI 'hit' list and even harder to
find.

John Coffman's design doesn't use one latch in each device and considering
the space available on an S100 card I think you may be better off using a
combination of standard buffers like '244s and '373 latches. For a Z80 16
bit write to IDE - latch the low byte in a '373 and do an IDE write cycle
when the high byte goes through a '244 (keeping the low byte '373 OE
enabled). If you want to do a 16 bit read from IDE the low byte goes
through a '244 onto the bus and the high byte is stored in a '373 latch to
read on the following Z80 bus read cycle. You just have to work out how to
control the LEs and OEs on the '373s. It may be easier to use a '245 on the
low 8 bit IDE for 8 bit transfers (i.e control) and map 16 bit transfers
through other IO addresses that enable the '373s as required.

We will definitely be at the end of the road for this hobby if you can't
get '244s, '245s and '373s
Cheers, Ian.
Bob Bell
2015-10-02 16:27:15 UTC
The link is not working.

It says the Viewfolder failed to load: Folder ECB Duel IDE – with FDC does not exist.

Is there a workaround?

Bob Bell

John Monahan
2015-10-02 17:17:01 UTC
Bob I was able to download this. (see attached).

John

Max Scane
2015-10-01 22:17:39 UTC
Hi John,

Why keep the 8255? It was really only needed to support 16 bit IDE
interfaces. Most people only want to use Compact Flash these days and all
Compact Flash cards support 8 bit mode. If you really need 16 bit
compatibility replicate the GIDE with a couple of GALS and registers.

You can directly connect the CF card to the IO bus and program it for 8 bit
mode. You will find it much faster. The N8VEM M4 processor card has both
an 8 bit CF and an SD card. The SD card uses the CSI interface of the Z180
for SPI serial but is still much slower than the Compact Flash drive.

SD cards are a bit more tricky and require more processing and protocol
overhead. Depending on where you do all that processing it would be slower
than a IDE. You would need to pass off the SD card protocol and SPI
interface to a separate micro I think. Bit banging the SPI connection to
the SD card is quite slow.

Cheers!

Max