[N8VEM-S100:7602] Question (need some help pls) with S100 Z80 CPU/Serial IO Card config
Peter Clark
2015-09-20 15:47:35 UTC
Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the community, and have been reading up on the projects,
and working towards building some boards for my IMSAI 8080. I've learned
a lot so far, and also realized that what I first thought would be simple
is far more complicated than I thought! :) I'm glad though because I'm
having loads of fun learning about computers I dreamed about having/using
when I was much younger and expanding my understanding at the same time.

Anyway, I'm trying to get started with a pretty simple configuration and
expand from there. The config I'm trying to get started with is an IMSAI
8080 chassis with a Z80 Master CPU Board V2, 4 vintage 8k ram cards
(confirmed working), and a Serial IO board V2. I'll add a Dual CF IDE
card and Dual Floppy card once I get this working.

I've got the Z80 CPU and Serial IO card built and I'm now trying to test
them in my IMSAI. I've assembled the Master.Z80 (Low and High) and burned
to a 27C64 and it looks to me like I correctly got the two separate 4k rom
banks into the one rom. Although I'm not sure. I read the rom back into
my buffer and confirmed the same start code at both 0H and 1000h.

I've got my old laptop w/serial port hooked up to port 'a' of the serial
card as well as the usb port, and have tera term running for each serial
port.

Both cards are configured from the instructions on the S100computers site,
although I'm thinking I probably have made some errors with the jumpers.
I've compared my setup to some others who have posted pictures, but I have
specific concern for the ROM configuration, and the rom address setup.

Testing

When I turn on the IMSAI, on the Z80 card I get the bus master and low rom
lights, but no rom enable light. When I examine F000 from the front
panel, the rom enable light lights up bright, then when I press RUN it dims
a little, but stays on constant. It appears to me that the monitor is
running at this point, but I'm not getting anything on either of the serial
ports of the serial card, other than that they echo back whatever I type to
them.

Pictures of my CPU and serial io card are attached.

Any help with jumper configuration, and configuration to support the
CPU/Serial IO card combo would be greatly appreciated.
Peter Clark
2015-09-20 21:26:13 UTC
I made two videos to illustrate the behavior I'm seeing, hopefully they
are helpful.

John Monahan
2015-09-21 01:31:23 UTC
Hi Peter,

First cannot hear sound on your subsequent video.

Anyway If I understand your setup/problem the reason you are not getting the monitor to come up in your system using the serial port is because you are not using the SMB. That board had a simple input port (IOBYTE) which determines where the console data will come from. The Propeller drive “Console IO board” – using a IBM PC PST style keyboard is the default. If there is no SMB in your system the Z80 “Master” monitor will read it as 0FFH – the default configuration. Bit 5 determines the source of the console input. This is all documented at the start of the monitors code listing.

See:-

http://s100computers.com/Software%20Folder/Master/Master.htm

It’s easy to change the code to always assume the serial port for the console – just look at the CO:, CSTS: and CI: routines.

Hope this helps

John

Peter Clark
2015-09-21 02:19:08 UTC
yes, that does. I missed that section on IOBYTE in the comments. Looking
at the CSTS routine, I'm thinking I could just do an unconditional jump to
SERIAL_STAT instead of reading IOBYTE. Does that seem right? Forgive me,
I'm new to Z80 assembler :) I'm assuming it's ok to shrink the code by a
few instructions...

Like this:

;<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< MAIN CONSOL STATUS ROUTINE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CSTS: IN A,(CONSOL_STATUS)
AND 02H
JP Z,TRYSER ;See if input from Serial Port is req
XOR A
DEC A ;RETURN WITH 0FFH IN [A] IF SOMETHING
RET
TRYSER: JP SERIAL_STAT ;Force serial IO
*Sent:* Sunday, September 20, 2015 8:48 AM
*To:* N8VEM-S100
*Subject:* [N8VEM-S100:7602] Question (need some help pls) with S100 Z80
CPU/Serial IO Card config
John Monahan
2015-09-21 02:34:48 UTC
Peter this is a good way to get used to Z80 code. I’m traveling and don’t have access to the code but just switch conditional jumps to straight jumps.

For example JP Z, TRYSER to JP TRYSER.

BTW read the text before the code carefully, that monitor is quite dense and carefully laid out to get as much as possible in a small space.

Good luck

John

Peter Clark
2015-09-21 12:13:08 UTC
Ok, that sounds safer. Thanks. Ok, one more question I think. I'm
thinking I also either need to 1) set the serial card port to 0H instead of
0A0H or 2) modify the console equates to look at port A on the serial card,
eg: 0A1H

so for option 2 instead of this

;-------------- PROPELLER CONSOLE_IO (OR SD SYSTEMS VIDEO BOARD) FOR
CONSOLE INPUT & OUTPUT

[...]