[N8VEM-S100:7236] Possible 8086 board run
Gary Kaufman
2015-06-17 23:20:50 UTC
I'm hoping to have enough interest to justify another run of the 8086 S-100
board that John did a few years ago.

Thanks to John's help I have files for a slightly updated version of the
board on www.s100computers.com

- improved and corrected silk screening
- the ability to use three options for the TO-3 regulator as per the
other new boards

Per John's comments, the other limitation:

"the design of that board was my very first S100 bus slave CPU board. It did not really have the master/slave circuit flushed out properly. It's absolutely fine as a slave but if setup as a bus master it would have to be modified to pass control to another slave. (Its address, data, status & control lines would have to be inactivated by the slave when it has control) The IEEE-696 is unclear who does this, but normally the bus master inactivates its own lines. Except for the similar 8088 our other CPU boards have the appropriate circuits."

Please let me know of any interest - hopefully we can get a run together.

(I'll also price it out thru PCBWAY given Don's recent posting)

- Gary
'Rick' via N8VEM-S100
2015-06-18 00:01:43 UTC
I am interested in 2 8086 boards.

Rick Bromagem

Fabio Battaglia
Brian Marstella
2015-06-18 11:54:42 UTC
Gary,

I'd be interested in 1 if the price per board stays around $20 plus
shipping.

Regards, Brian.
ShawnR
G. Beat
2015-06-18 23:10:54 UTC
Gary -
Are you planning revisions (noted by Todd) to use as a Master/Slave on the S-100 bus??

gb
Gary Kaufman
2015-06-19 00:03:35 UTC
Greg -

The only revisions made are the changes to the silkscreen and
regulator. It works fine as a slave, and I suspect most of us won't
need to use it as a master.

John's tied up with some more significant projects, and sadly I lack the
sophistication to make any of these changes.

It should be similar to the 8088 board - which works very nicely.

- Gary
John Monahan
2015-06-19 03:36:06 UTC
Unfortunately configuring a this board to come up as a IEEE-696 master (rather than a slave) is not a simple splice. The transfer of control has to take place sequentially and carefully. See the write-up here
http://s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/80286%20Board/80286%20CPU%20Board.htm
Go down to "Configuring the 80286 as a Bus Master with Slave/DMA controllers" for an example.

I'm really reluctant to plunk is a similar circuit without a prototype run. History has thought me "quickies" don't work.

BTW remember you can bring this board up as the only CPU board in your system (i.e. it will boot as "the CPU" on power on), it's just it will not be able to transfer control to another CPU/DMA device.

Gary put me on the list for two boards if you do a run

John

Matthew Turner
2015-06-19 19:27:03 UTC
Hey Gary!

Please put me down for two of these boards. No harm having a few spares.

Regards,

Matt Turner

2015-06-19 21:53:06 UTC
Gary,
Please put me down for one board.
Thanks,
Harold Rothwell
Andrew Bingham
2015-06-20 01:52:43 UTC
Put me down for one.

Now we just need a 186 board....

-Andrew
Richard Cini
2015-06-20 01:56:17 UTC
I'll take one too.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone
Post by Andrew Bingham
Put me down for one.
Now we just need a 186 board....
-Andrew
Robert Greenstreet
2015-06-20 04:29:19 UTC
<HEAD>
<STYLE>body{font-family: Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color: #ffffff;color: black;}</STYLE>

<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 11.00.9600.17801"></HEAD>
<BODY id=compText>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: arial,sans-serif; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: black; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid">
<DIV dir=ltr>Hi Gary,</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr>Yes, please put me down for 1 8086 S-100 board.</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr>Thank you,</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr>Robert Greenstreet</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr><BR>&nbsp;<BR>
<DIV>
<HR id=stopSpelling>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 16:20:50 -0700<BR>From: ***@gmail.com<BR>To: n8vem-***@googlegroups.com<BR>Subject: [N8VEM-S100:7236] Possible 8086 board run<BR><BR>
<DIV dir=ltr>I'm hoping to have enough interest to justify another run of the 8086 S-100 board that John did a few years ago.<BR><BR>Thanks to John's help I have files for a slightly updated version of the board on www.s100computers.com<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; - improved and corrected silk screening<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; - the ability to use <SPAN><FONT class=ecxstyle16><SPAN class=ecxstyle10><SPAN class=ecxstyle96><SPAN class=ecxstyle8>three options for the TO-3 regulator as per the other new boards</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></FONT></SPAN><BR><PRE></PRE><SPAN><FONT class=ecxstyle16><SPAN class=ecxstyle10><SPAN class=ecxstyle96><SPAN class=ecxstyle8><BR>Per John's comments, the other limitation:<BR><BR></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></FONT></SPAN><PRE>"the design of that board was my very first S100 bus slave CPU board. It did not really have the master/slave circuit flushed out properly. It's absolutely fine as a slave but if setup as a bus master it would have to be modified to pass control to another slave. (Its address, data, status &amp; control lines would have to be inactivated by the slave when it has control) The IEEE-696 is unclear who does this, but normally the bus master inactivates its own lines. Except for the similar 8088 our other CPU boards have the appropriate circuits."<BR><BR>Please let me know of any interest - hopefully we can get a run together.<BR><BR>(I'll also price it out thru PCBWAY given Don's recent posting)<BR><BR>- Gary<BR></PRE></DIV><BR>-- <BR>You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "N8VEM-S100" group.<BR>To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <A href="mailto:n8vem-s100+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem-s100+***@googlegroups.com</A>.<BR>For more options, visit <A href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout" target=_blank>https://groups.google.com/d/optout</A>.<BR></DIV></DIV></ZZZBODY></ZZZHTML>
<P></P>-- <BR>You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "N8VEM-S100" group.<BR>To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <A href="mailto:n8vem-s100+***@googlegroups.com" target=_blank>n8vem-s100+***@googlegroups.com</A>.<BR>For more options, visit <A href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout" target=_blank>https://groups.google.com/d/optout</A>.<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM-S100&quot; group.<br />
Gary Kaufman
2015-06-21 01:46:13 UTC
Looks like the final list is:

Rick Bromagem 2 boards
Fabio Battaglia 3 boards
brian marstella 1 board
Shawn Rickman 1 board
John Monahan 2 boards
Matt Turner 2 boards
Harold Rothwell 1 board
Andrew Bingham 1 board
Richard Cini 1 board
Robert Greenstreet 1 board

I'm not planning to order many extras, so please let me know ASAP if I
missed anyone. I'll finalize the order next week.

- Gary
Ian May
Todd Goodman
2015-06-22 13:22:52 UTC
Hi Gary,

I'll take three boards.

Sorry for the late answer.

Thanks,

Todd
Tim Acker

Gary Kaufman
2015-06-23 01:50:41 UTC
Final Tally, order being placed for:

Rick Bromagem 2 boards
Fabio Battaglia 3 boards
brian marstella 1 board
Shawn Rickman 1 board
John Monahan 2 boards
Matt Turner 2 boards
Harold Rothwell 1 board
Andrew Bingham 1 board
Richard Cini 1 board
Robert Greenstreet 1 board
Ian May 2 boards
Tim Acker 1 board
Todd Goodman 3 boards
Gary Kaufman 3 boards

Total: 24
David Rosenberger
2015-06-23 13:05:07 UTC
I really should monitor this group more closely. If the order hasn't been
placed yet, I would really like 1 board, otherwise keep me in mind of any
of you end up not needing a spare.
Ants Pants
2015-06-23 20:26:47 UTC
Gary - if you havnt sent this order off already to the shop, i have only just seen this post, could i please get in for 1x board if possible?
Ants
Gary Kaufman
2015-06-23 23:21:54 UTC
David and Ants -

I placed the order early this am - I'll have a few extras if none get lost
or damaged in shipping, so I should be able to help you both out.

I do still have about a dozen 8088 boards still left from a prior purchase
:)

- Gary
Ants Pants
Gary Kaufman
2015-06-30 03:16:21 UTC
I've just received tracking information on the 8086 boards. They should
arrive before the weekend!

- Gary