[N8VEM-S100:7688] Load Altair BASIC via IMSAI MIO2 w/ MP3 or other "cassette" images?
drlegendre
2015-09-28 22:46:38 UTC
Howdy folks,

Since we're still coming up zeroes on the mystery MCT serial board, I've
been considering taking a different approach.

Recently, I was lucky enough to find an original IMSAI 'MIO2' comms board,
which has 1X serial, 2X parallel and one "CRI" port which I believe is an
old acronym for a cassette interface. What would be involved in
accomplishing the following:

1) Connect I/O cables with 1/8" mini plugs that will connect with the
'CRI' interface on the MIO2
2) Obtain the required bootloader / BASIC files in +audio+ format - such
as PCM or MP3 files which could be sent to the MIO by a generic MP3 player,
emulating a cassette deck
3) Input (via front panel) a bootstrap routine to load the second
bootloader via CRI and finally, the BASIC (or any other arbitrary) code

Will any of this work, and do the required bootloader / BASIC files exist
as audio / PCM / MP3?

And finally, can I use the MIO2 serial to talk to a M15 Teletype? I know
that it's quite possible to get BASIC taking with a later TTY machine, like
a 33ASR, but I only have an M15 at the moment. If the M15 won't fly, I can
certainly use minicom running under Linux on a really old Toshiba Satellite
(P75?) laptop.

Either way, I rebuilt this Altair from a miserable basket case almost one
year ago, and I'm itching to do something with it.. other than run the
simple check-out programs (add two numbers, blink the lights..) in the
manual. What's my best route to the next level of S-100? ;-)

-Bill
drlegendre
2015-09-29 04:02:23 UTC
One correction.. as pertains to the cassette interface.

The construction of the 1/8" audio cables isn't an issue I can build any
kind of cable required. What I meant to ask, was where they should be
connected to the board. I've looked at a couple drawings from the docs, and
can't quite get where to connect the In / Out and Motor (if supported)
cables to the board.