[N8VEM-S100:7765] Z80 CPU board and Serial I/O board setup issue
Mark G. Thomas
2015-10-20 00:16:41 UTC

My setup is as follows:

- Z80 CPU board version 2
- Serial I/O board version 2
- Compupro RAM-17 64K static RAM board
- Compupro S-100 motherboard

I burned the version 5.04 monitor into the lower half of a 27C64,
and have P39 jumpered 1-2.

I see D5, D7, and D8 lit on the CPU board, and see data on
the S100 data and I/O lines with a scope, but no LEDs at all
lit on the Serial I/O card, and no activity on serial port A.

Questions:

- I have a Z8530, not a Z85C30. Does it matter?

- I used the MASTER.HEX file from Master (5.04).zip I'd welcome
a full-sized HEX or BIN file with the code appropriately duplicated.
Will 5.04 work with this setup above?

- I didn't see K3 on the CPU board mentioned on the s100computers.com page,
but 1-2 seems to be what's necessary for me to get D5 (ROM SEL) lit.

I can post jumpers info or pictures if that's the next step. It's definitely
a chicken-egg situation when starting from nothing.

Mark
--
Mark G. Thomas (***@Misty.com), KC3DRE
Mark G Thomas
2015-10-20 01:41:31 UTC
Post by Mark G. Thomas
Hi,
[...]
To answer my own question:

Based on a similar recent thread, I believe I need to either finish my system monitor board so I can set the IOBYTE, or alter and recompile the monitor program.

Further comments are still welcome though.

Mark
John Monahan
2015-10-20 04:52:10 UTC
Mark if you Query Ports In/Out to the Z8530 do you see LED pulses with a logic probe on the appropriate pins.
K3 is normally not used. Always 1-2. (It allows the CPU to be driven by an external clock on st2h S100 bus line NDRF3 when jumpered 2-3).

Z8530/ Z85C30 should not matter at these speeds.

The complete source code for MASTER.Z80 is supplied on the site. Go to the Software section, install the "Altair CPM emulator" on your PC and assemble and make HEX files to your hearts content.

You may want to start using the new S100Computers Google Group for these boards as well in the future. There are some very experienced users there that can help.
John