[N8VEM-S100:7022] A V3 version of our Dual IDE/CF card S100 board.
monahanz
2015-05-16 23:25:11 UTC
It's hard to believe but this board is now over 5 years old. It is
probably our most popular S100 bus board to date. It went through two
major revisions.

I would like to now introduce what will probably be the final version of
this very useful S100 board. It’s called the V3 IDE/CF Card S100 board. The
main updates are:-

-

I did not want to change the basic 8255 driven circuit and all the
software I and others have over the years written for the board. Sure
if I were to do it all over again I would probably have done it different
using perhaps a faster Zilog PIO or an onboard fast fully dedicated Z80 (as
for our ZFDC board) or Propeller etc. The NEC or OKI 82C55-2’s are
dirt common and seem to be able to handle anything the CPU sends to them.
-

I want to hand lay down broad power traces to all the boards IC’s for
more even power distribution – particularly to the power hungry HEX
displays.
-

I have inserted a trace “Keep out Area” on the front of the board so
there is no danger of the IDE adaptors touching a critical trace.
-

I have now switched to a “multi regular” voltage regulator footprint. This
allows you to use either:- a 1.5Amp L7805CV, a TO-3 LM323K (3Amps), a
Pololu 5 Volt , 2.5 Amp D24V25, or a EzSBC.com 3A regulator called
PSU5.
-

I did bend the *no new changes* rules a little and added two 22V10 GALs.
This greatly simplifies the board and really speeds up the port
addressing and the potential drive select/reset issues some were having.
I realize not everybody is familiar with GAL’s. Please see here for more
information about GALs. For those people and beginners I will supply the
pre-programmed Lattice 22V10 GALs. The PALASM code is shown below. Again
these GAL’s are fairly common (Jameco #39159 for the 15ns variety).
-

Correct a potential drive A: or B: switch circuit problem described by
some.
-

I have added a wait state circuit (0 - 8 I/O wait states) to accommodate
very fast S100 boards such as our 80386 and 80486 boards without requiring
further generalized I/O wait states on the CPU board for other system I/O
ports.
-

People should be able to simply switch IC’s from their old board to this
new one. Only two new GAL ICs and two 74LS373 are required.
-

Last but least I relabeled much of the Silk Screen to be more relevant.
For example placing IC numbers above their pin locations etc.

I have written up a description of the board here:-

*http://s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/IDE%20Board/My%20IDE%20Card.htm*
<http://s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/IDE%20Board/My%20IDE%20Card.htm>

(Bottom of the page).

This time I had 4 final productions boards made by PCBCart (China)
before I announced it. That way I don’t have to worry about a large batch
of boards coming back with a critical design flaw. The picture on the
web site is the final board, not a prototype.

Anyway I will do a group order for a batch of these V3 bare boards. Please
let me know ASAP if you would like one or more bare boards. They will run
somewhere between $14 - $16 each + shipping. Note batches of these
boards do/will not occur often. If you even think you will need such a
board, now is the time.

It’s best to send me an e-mail direct (monahan AT vitasoft DOT org).

John Monahan
J. Alexander Jacocks

Gary Kaufman

yoda
2015-05-17 04:18:50 UTC
Hi John

I believe you have me down for a couple boards - responding just in case. I assume this is similar to the proto we tested with the added wait state generator. I think this will work with the 68k then

Dave
monahanz
John Monahan
2015-05-17 05:59:25 UTC
Dave how many would you like.

yoda
2015-05-17 11:47:56 UTC
I will go with 3 John

Thanks

Dave
Fabio Battaglia
David Fry

Matthew Turner
2015-05-17 11:49:27 UTC
Hey John!

Three for me as well.

Thanks,

Matt Turner

Robert
2015-05-17 14:03:42 UTC
<HEAD>
<STYLE>body{font-family: Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color: #ffffff;color: black;}</STYLE>

<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588"></HEAD>
<BODY id=compText>
<P>Hi John,</P>
<P>Please sign me up for 1 board of&nbsp;:</P>
<P>V3 version of the Dual IDE/CF card S100 board</P>
<P>Thank you!</P>
<P>Robert Greenstreet</P></BODY>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM-S100&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem-s100+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem-s100+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
hlrjr via N8VEM-S100
2015-05-17 15:46:52 UTC
Hi John,

I am fairly new to the group but I am in the process of building up some
boards including the Z80 board and the 4Meg RAM board. I also have a bare
IDE Version 2 board. My question is should I forget the version 2 board (I
haven't started building it yet) and order one of the version 3 boards?

Thanks
Harold
John Monahan
2015-05-17 17:10:36 UTC
Tricky question Harold. It’s probably a function of what your long term plans are. If you intend to eventually move up to high speed CPUs like 80386, 80486, ARM’s and GB DRAM boards on the bus running at 10-12MHz (and 40-60Mhz in PM), then I would recommend you skip straight to the V3. The board you have is 100% functional for the Z80, 8088/8086/80286 and early 80386 boards. The 68K is uncertain at this stage. The V2 should work fine also with 80’s era CPU boards such as the Cromemco or Intersystems boards.

'Rick' via N8VEM-S100
2015-05-18 05:03:54 UTC
Hi John,

Please sign me up for 2 boards of :

V3 version of the Dual IDE/CF card S-100 board

Thank you!

Rick Bromagem
Steven Feinsmith
Steven Feinsmith
2015-06-18 02:54:18 UTC
I double checked and I did reserve for two pieces V3 Dual IDE/CF cards on May 19th. I did not realized my name was not appeared on your listing and seem overlooked again. I need it for my project as I discarded V2 board and seek for V3 with GAL chips.
Andrew Bingham
2015-05-20 03:41:22 UTC
John,

I would like one V3 CF/IDE board.

Andrew Bingham
John Parsons
2015-05-21 22:04:53 UTC
John, I would like four. This is a duplicate of an email I sent.
JohnP
Thierry Schembri
2015-05-22 13:04:01 UTC
Hi John,
I'd like one.
Thanks!
-Thierry
James Wiley
2015-05-23 16:50:47 UTC
I would like 1.
G. Beat
2015-05-23 20:23:36 UTC
Would be interested in 1.
However, I don't have ability to program GAL, with recent shop update.

greg
John Monahan
2015-05-23 20:33:24 UTC
Talk about timing Greg, I'm just sending out the order. I don’t like doing it, but I will get and burn the 2 GAL's for you
Need your e-mail address and shipping address. Send to monahan AT vitasoft DOT org.

John

2015-05-25 00:49:05 UTC

I think it would be much easier for everyone to have board comes with GAL.
You can combined the cost together. I appreciate very much that board
designed to allow to use different voltage regulator physical shapes.

I was out of luck to find excellent 78H05 voltage regulator, packed TO-3. I
regretted that I did not purchase it several years ago in large quantity. I
afraid to purchase "China" brand through eBay or other sources.

Thank you,
Steven
2015-05-25 01:16:53 UTC
Greg,

I suspect that most folks involved with this sort of project have the
ability to get and burn their own GALs. You might consider that the
purchase price of a suitable programmer is a very small part of the price
necessary to acquire the parts to build these boards.

Just my $0.02.

- Alex

Hi,
Ian McLaughlin
2015-05-25 01:19:53 UTC
I think it would be much easier for everyone to have board comes with GAL. You can combined the cost together. I appreciate very much that board designed to allow to use different voltage regulator physical shapes.
It would probably be much easier for everyone if the boards came with a complete kit of parts. Or even if they came pre-assembled and tested. But that’s not what this is about. Programming a GAL is no more difficult than programming an EPROM. If you don’t have an EPROM programmer, then others have offered to provide pre-programmed GALs, but yes that’ll be shipping from an additional person. Oh, there’ll probably be shipping from at least two electronics parts retailers in order to get all of the parts needed for the boards as well.

Ian
G. Beat
2015-05-25 01:26:31 UTC
Steven -

Were you looking for 3 Amp, 5 Volt regulators, in a TO-3 case?

eBay auction: 181631519603
Seller has been handling military surplus (some nice items) over the past year.

greg
Gary Kaufman
2015-05-25 01:37:03 UTC
ACP (a reliable seller) has the same LAS1405's for a lower cost too.
Auction 390882157222

There is also the PSU5 Switching version that John has been using lately.
Auction 261894842475

- Gary
Steven Feinsmith
2015-05-28 20:33:48 UTC
Thank you for this information....

LAS1405 by Lambda was not great voltage regulator and not same as 78H05.
Yes, it overcharged and not worth. Because I worked for Lambda many years
ago in Long Island. I familiar with this component well and would not
recommendation. Lambda stopped and relabeled with National Semi as LAS1405
to cover up the flawed. It will be enormous difficult to find if the second
generation LAS1405 by National Semi. The National Semi found out what
Lambda did and then stopped sell them. I am not sure that they decided to
purchase components from Japan before they closed and sold the business.

I will use EzSBC, it has more advantage because it runs without heat sink.

Thank you,
Steven
G. Beat
2015-05-29 17:45:51 UTC
Steven-
Thanks for history (and National Semi rebranding story).

gb
Gary Kaufman
2015-05-23 20:35:00 UTC
If you're in the USA, I'd be happy to program a few for you. Contact me
off list if I can help.

- Gary
John Monahan
2015-05-23 21:10:52 UTC
Guy’s I’d rather not get into the GAL burning business, just ordering and shipping this number of board is a real chore.
Gary if you could do the GAL’s that would really be great. I’m not sure how you want to handle it, get a bunch from Jameco and send via US mail would be the easiest, I suppose.

I’m up to my eyeballs in stuff here with more boards coming, spending more time on that hopefully will provide more users with much more to play with. Worse still I a bunch or travel trips due.

As I outlined previously the reality is that most boards from now on will require one or two GAL’s. They are dirt cheap and very easy to program with PALSAM. I highly recommend “users” get familiar with them.

For the real “die hard’s”, I also getting into CPLD’s. These are essentially super GAL’s. On the current 80486 prototype one PLCC based CPLD would replace 6 GAL’s. However in that case I’ll probably supply the chip since the number of users I assume will be less.

John

Gary Kaufman
2015-05-23 23:27:56 UTC
John -

I'd be happy to program GAL's, you have better things to do!

If Jeff, Paul and Greg would email me directly we can work out shipping.

BTW, do you recommend 15ns or 25ns parts?

- Gary
John Monahan
2015-05-23 23:46:12 UTC
That's great Gary thanks,
Code is real simple and that on the web site is valid.
Not necessary here but I would go with 15ns, may be important later for other boards

Tom Lafleur
2015-05-24 01:32:46 UTC
I'm also interested for one set
Post by Gary Kaufman
[...]
~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

Tom Lafleur
Gary Kaufman
2015-05-24 03:28:06 UTC
Tom -

Sure,

Looks like I can get the GAL's in 15ns for a better price than the $3.75
+ shipping that Jameco gets.

About $2.50 each should cover GAL's and shipping via 1st class mail.

Just let me know which GAL's you need (sounds like just the two for the
IDE board).

I'll probably collect up orders for a few days, then get the GAL's and
program them all at once.

- Gary
Tom Lafleur
2015-05-24 04:04:08 UTC
Thats great, yes the IDE board...

You may want to check Avnet Express (I get many parts here)

http://avnetexpress.avnet.com/store/em/EMController/Programmable-Logic/SPLD/_/N-100237/Ne-100000?action=products&advAction=&cat=1&catalogId=500201&cutTape=&inStock=&langId=-1&myCatalog=&npi=&proto=&regionalStock=&rohs=&searchType=&storeId=500201&term=22V10&topSellers=&categoryLink=true&categoryName=%20SPLD

Bob Bell
2015-05-24 20:30:34 UTC
Good Afternoon S-100 group,

With Tom’s mention of Avnet Express, it brings my list to 8 of suppliers of electronic parts:

Anchor Electronics (http://www.anchor-electronics.com/price-list.pdf)

Avnet Express (http://avnetexpress.avnet.com)

DigiKey (http://www.digikey.com)

Futerlec (http://www.futurlec.com/index.shtml)

Jameco (http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1)

Mouser (http://www.mouser.com)

MPJA (http://www.mpja.com)

Unicorn (http://www.unicornelectronics.com)

I am always searching for the best prices for my projects. I’m sure you do too.

Do you have a favorite supplier, one that is not on my list?

Please post the name and web site, and you will benefit us all.

Bob Bell

Malcolm Macleod
2015-05-25 05:21:24 UTC
Hi Bob,

I also use:

· Futurlec -> http://www.futurlec.com/

· Worldwide Electronic Components -> http://members.iinet.net.au/~worcom/browse_catalog.php

Futurlec is cheap as they are in Thailand. But their delivery service is awful. Every delivery is late. Usually I’ll wait until the delivery time (eg 2 weeks) has expired, and when I follow them up, they’ll explain that the order hasn’t yet been despatched. I’ve complained about this a couple of times, but nothing has improved. I still use them based on their low prices, but not for anything I need in a hurry!

WWEC is in Perth, so probably not of any interest to anyone outside Australia. Their prices were always reasonable, but now everything is 50% off as the owner is slowly winding up the business. So there are plenty of bargains at the moment.

Malcolm.

Jameco (http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10001 <http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1> &catalogId=10001&langId=-1)

Mouser (http://www.mouser.com)

MPJA (http://www.mpja.com)

Unicorn (http://www.unicornelectronics.com)

I am always searching for the best prices for my projects. I’m sure you do too.

Do you have a favorite supplier, one that is not on my list?

Please post the name and web site, and you will benefit us all.

Bob Bell

[Earlier posts deleted by M Macleod]
monahanz
2015-05-23 20:42:02 UTC
I sent an update e-mail to everybody who asked for boards. If you *did not*
get an email today you are not on the list. Send one to me (my direct
e-mail account, monahan AT vitasoft DOT org)immediately. Looks like an
order for 65 boards!
John Parsons
2015-05-24 05:30:31 UTC
Gary,

I would like to have 4 (four) sets of GALS for the IDE board.

I will send you a separate email with my shipping address and request for
payment details when they are final.

JohnP
Gary Kaufman

Fabio Battaglia
2015-05-25 05:24:40 UTC
Hi Gary,
If not too late, I'd be interested in two sets of GAL chips too. I almost
missed this, maybe it would be better to post it in a separate thread?

Bye!
Fabio
Kryoclasm
2015-05-28 13:07:48 UTC
Hello Gary,

Just joined the group and I would very much like one of this board please.

Shawn.
John Monahan
2015-05-28 22:20:55 UTC
Need name and shipping address.

JOHN Monahan

2015-05-28 23:50:19 UTC
Finally got around to sending out order to PCBCart for 70 of these IDE V3
boards. Hopefully I got everybody. I got a few extra just in case.
Here is my list:-

Glen Slick 4

Jeff Albrecht 3

Jack Rubin 3

J. Alexander Jacocks 1

Bob Bell 2

Gary Kaufman 3

Eric Osman 3

Malcolm Macleod 3

Tom Lafleur 1

Fabio Battaglia 3

David Fry 1

Paul Birkel 2

Dave Mehaffy (yoda) 3

Matthew Turner 3+3, (3 for Josh)

Leon Byles 2

Charles Ledford 4

Robert Greenstreet 1

Max Scane 1

Michael Petry 3

Roger Hanscom 3

John Parsons 4

Andrew Bingham 1

Steven M Jones 2

Thierry Schembri 1

Rick Bromagem 2

Ian McLaughlin 1

Stan Katz 1

Total 64

Ordered 70 Boards. One cap was slightly I the way of the CF card so I
will have them redo the board template. Will work out to be ~$12 board +
shipping. Again, do NOT send anything via PayPal until you get the
board(s). They are tell me 8 days + UPS time from China.

Malcolm I need your shipping address.

John
G. Beat
2015-05-29 17:44:35 UTC
John -
Did not see my name on list.

Greg Beat
Chicago
John Monahan
2015-05-29 18:04:13 UTC
Sorry Greg, will set aside one for you. Need shipping address (to monahan AT vitasoft DOT org)
John

2015-05-29 00:02:05 UTC
John,

Could you please add me to the list for 1 board.

Thanks!
Tim
John Monahan
2015-05-29 04:14:25 UTC
OK Need name and shipping address. Send to my personal e-mail address listed in post

Brian Marstella
2015-06-01 11:30:55 UTC
Hi, John,

Not sure how I missed this thread; I'd be interested in 1 of these if you
will have enough to go around. Let me know if you need shipping address.

Regards, Brian.
John Monahan
2015-06-01 15:37:50 UTC
Got it

G. Beat

John Monahan
2015-06-19 03:19:52 UTC
Thanks for pointing that out George. Handling these actual boards is getting to be more work than designing them!

Fortunately almost everybody on the list are “regulars”, but just as a reminder its monahan AT vitasoft DOT org (make the appropriate letter substitutions).

John

Martin Crockett
2015-06-23 11:03:12 UTC
Hi John,

I am new to this group, but would like to put my hand up for 2 of the Dual
IDE/CF boards boards if possible.

Many thanks and Cheers, Martin...
John Monahan
2015-06-23 16:51:47 UTC
Sorry Martin, all gone out for this batch

Gary Kaufman
2015-06-23 21:15:32 UTC
Looking for troubleshooting ideas....

I've put together the V3 IDE board, and it works perfectly with CP/M and
the Z80 board.
Both IDE slots work fine in CP/M and I'm using the same flash memory
cards and SYBA adapters as I used with the V2 card.

Unfortunately I can't get it to boot MSDOS.
Using an 8088 CPU card.

The card won't access properly using QO33,80/QO32,2B/QO30,00 etc either
under the 8088 but works perfectly using the Z80.

I've tried swapping cards, adding I/O wait states on both IDE and CPU
cards, swapping GAL's, swapping IC's, stripping most other boards from
the system etc.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

- Gary
John Monahan
2015-06-23 22:05:28 UTC
For what it's worth Gary, just tested it with my 8088 (for the first time!). Works fine.
Unfortunately I'm winding things down here for a 2 week vacation in Europe. Not back until mid-July. So I won't be able to help much, but I have been using this board in all kinds of situations in the past few weeks, never a problem, even a new V2 CPLD driven 80386 prototype at 10MHz on the bus. One thing though, this is a second batch of boards made by PCBCart. It's the same Gurber files so there should be no changes, but you never know. Dave Fry, you are the only one with the first batch board. Do you have our 8088. Also can some other users out there check their 8088 with this board.

John

Gary Kaufman
2015-06-23 22:12:00 UTC
John -

Enjoy your vacation!

I may just build up a second board, or try a slower clock on the 8088
(I've used two separate 8088 boards at 8 and 10.6mhz) and see if I have
the same problem.

I suppose I should try the 80286 or 80386 boards too...

- Gary
Gary Kaufman
2015-06-23 23:26:51 UTC
A bit more information...

Just tried it with a few other boards - it boots fine with the 80286, boots
intermittently with the "Cyrix 80386", but I can't get it to boot with
either AMD80386, 8088 or NECV20/8088 boards.
I also tried swapping 82C55's with several other brands and both ALS and F
parts.

Also tried changing the 8088 CPU to 4.77mhz and various wait state settings
for I/O both on CPU and IDE board.

- Gary
David Fry
2015-06-24 10:59:24 UTC
Hi Gary / John,

It just so happens that I am in the middle of building up my V3 S100 IDE/CF
board as well.
I don't have all the components to complete it yet so will be placing a
parts order in the next day of so, may be able to advise by the weekend
but don't hold your breath, remember that my 8088 board is not totally
stable, it's an issue I need to get back to now that I have a logic
analyser to so if I can track down
what the issue is.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/n8vem-s100/8088$20crash/n8vem-s100/5AdU1Xh7_Yo/k4viGsG0rYYJ

All the same, I have 8088, 80286 80386 and Z80 CPU cards and I will post
feedback hopefully by the weekend.

Best regards

David Fry
Gary Kaufman
2015-06-24 14:21:00 UTC
This may be a duplicate post, thought I replied from home this morning but
I don't see it in the forum.

John sent along a photo of his 8088 board, and I had the K5/6/7/11 "Full
Latch" jumpers in the 1-2 position - switched them to the 2-3 position to
match John's board and the 8088 booted MS-DOS just fine. I only had a few
moments before work today and will do more testing tonight - but this looks
like it was the issue.

- Gary
Gary Kaufman
2015-06-24 22:15:05 UTC
Hopefully this will save others a bit of head-scratching!

*** To boot the IDE V3 board into MSDOS using the 8088 board requires the
K5/6/7/11 "Full Latch" jumpers are set in the 2-3 position. ***

With this setting I was able to boot at 10.6mhz (32mhz oscillator) and the
V3 IDE board is rock solid. This was using 82C84, 82C88, NEC D70108HCZ-16
V20 16mhz processor, and the 4mb SRAM board using 45ns RAM and only a
single wait state for both EEprom and I/O.

Thanks John and others for a great collection of boards.

- Gary
John Monahan
2015-06-24 23:34:42 UTC
Glad you got it working Gary. To make things even more complicated I find that I can boot the IDE board/MSDOS with the jumpers using either 1-2 or 3-4. (Using our old 4MB Static RAM board). I suspect it’s more to do with your RAM board(s) than the IDE board. In the past I found for example that some of the Godbout RAM boards were more finicky than our own with respect to these jumpers. In the 1-2 positions could you get the 8086 monitor “N” command diagnostics to work?

John

Gary Kaufman
2015-06-24 23:57:14 UTC
John -

I'm using the 4mb static ram board, which has always been the
consistently most stable in my system.

K5 seems to be the critical jumper, although switching K6 and K7 seem to
have made the ZFDC (which rarely wouldn't initialize at 10.6mhz) work
better too.

David Fry noticed that you have left K11 as 1-2, seems to make no
difference in my system either way.

With K5 set 1-2 the "N" command diagnostics also don't work.

- Gary
*Sent:* Wednesday, June 24, 2015 3:15 PM
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#%21searchin/n8vem-s100/8088$20crash/n8vem-s100/5AdU1Xh7_Yo/k4viGsG0rYYJ>
John Monahan
2015-06-25 00:37:20 UTC
K5, 1-2, the IDE card does not even initialize? Interesting it’s K5 (/MWTC), since there is no MWRT signals sent to the board. It’s an I/O based board!

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/n8vem-s100/8088$20crash/n8vem-s100/5AdU1Xh7_Yo/k4viGsG0rYYJ <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#%21searchin/n8vem-s100/8088$20crash/n8vem-s100/5AdU1Xh7_Yo/k4viGsG0rYYJ>

Gary Kaufman
2015-06-25 00:59:13 UTC
Ok, so I'm embarrassed....

I went back and compared my original pic's with the current jumper
settings. I had also changed K8 to match yours (2-3). Turns out it was
really K8 that made the difference.

Sorry about that!

- Gary
John Monahan
2015-06-25 02:05:52 UTC
Happens me all the time Gary!

John

Gary Kaufman
2015-06-25 01:02:22 UTC
Revised message, so the correct information is there for others in the
future.

*** To boot the IDE V3 board into MSDOS using the 8088 board requires the
K8 jumper set in the 2-3 position. ***

- Gary